Quantcast

Friday, December 30, 2011

Year in review and what's in store for 2012

When I started keeping track of my reading last January, I never thought I would make it this far!  I am so glad I did--looking back on my list keeps things fresh in my mind, and I can remember where and what I was doing when I was reading particular books.  


The year has flown by, and now it's almost 2012.  I achieved my goal of 100 books and topped it by another 25, and I can't believe it.  I've read some great books, and some not-so-great books, but I am a firm believer in books popping up in my life when they are supposed to, and reading them for a reason.  They are magic, after all.  


Friends have been asking me, "Are you going to challenge yourself again in 2012?"  The answer is, of course, yes.  The challenge for me wasn't whether I would be able to read, but how much I could read in one year--and keep track of it.  The keeping track part was tough.  I have great intentions, then just get lazy and forget to write things down.  Having it posted on my blog made me more attentive to it.  


I'm looking forward to 2012 and all the books I'll be reading and discovering.  I will continue my podcasts (on iTunes go to podcasts and search "bookaliciousbabe"), hope to build my blog audience, and maybe with a little hard work learn more about blogging and become more creative in it!  I have gotten so many wonderful book suggestions from Goodreads  and other blogs that my cup overfloweth with so many genres, titles, and authors.  


So will you join me in my 2012 Reading Challenge?  Set a goal, grab a notebook (or computer) and begin keeping track of what you read.  You will be amazed at how much you read, and how many different types of books you read.  You may find yourself a true sci-i/fantasy fan and never knew it.  You may realize historical fiction is what you love most, or perusing kid's fiction is the way to happiness.  


What did I discover in 2011 about my reading habits?  I know I can't read too many dark and "serious" novels in a row; they really do begin to depress me a bit.  After that, I have to read some fun stuff.  I do still love a good romance, but my favorite is historical fiction.  I need to read more non-fiction, as that was sorely lacking in 2011. I really, really really like diving into a good fantasy novel.  I need to read more kids fiction, and plan on doing just that this year.  Reading classics I missed in my youth is also something I'd like to do in 2012.  My plate is already full, as you can tell!  But it's full of all my favorite foods, so I just have to 'eat' slowly, and digest each mouthful.  


Spread the news, and ask your friends to join you on this new reading challenge.  Again, the only goal is what you set for yourself.  If you can manage 20 books in 2012, bravo you!  If you are more ambitious, go for it!  Let me know what you hope to accomplish this year.  


Happy New Year everyone!  

No comments :

Post a Comment