Quantcast

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Oh, I Just Gotta Do It!

The new year always gives me a clean slate book-wise that only lasts for about 24 hours, then I'm back again to being buried under the books I really really want to read.  Which is about eleventy billion.  I am decluttering my house, bit by bit (bathroom done this morning!).  As I was staring at my bookcases, I realized I needed to declutter them as well.  I did give my niece a bag of books when she was here this weekend, so I kinda sorta did some decluttering that way.  But 5-6 books out of hundreds is really not even a drop in the bucket!  


I've made a bet with myself.  Let's see if I can win this one--does that make sense?


I have to read all of the paperback stripped books I have on my shelves within the next three months.  Period.  Do it.  Start now.  No messing around.  I'm serious here.  Wipe that snarky smile off your face, Ms. Caboo!


Working in a bookstore is a blessing.  With that blessing comes lots of paperback books that I am able to read at my leisure.  They are rendered unsaleable, then booksellers are able to take them home and read them.  If you ever go to a garage sale or a used bookstore and see a paperback book without a cover, it's illegal to sell it!  Someone is making a big no-no.


Anyway, this gives me an opportunity to read books I wouldn't necessarily buy.  I have discovered some wonderful books this way!  The only problem is that it is easy to accumulate them, and then they sit on the shelves.  So here goes.  All those mass markets, all those reader's copies, they are going to finally be read and enjoyed in the next three months.  Taking a break from Netgalley (this may  very well kill me), not looking at anything new (I know this will kill me).  Not until I've plowed through these books, reviewed quite a few, and passed them onto the great book recycling center in the sky.  


So if I stick with it, and win the bet against myself--what do I reward myself with this time?  Any suggestions?  I haven't a clue.  I'll think of something; after all, I have three months to complete this challenge.  


How are you decluttering your book life?  Or are you at all?

1 comment :

  1. Lol that is quite the challenge and I wish you luck with it!. Maybe your reward should be some new books to fill in the gaps )

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete