Quantcast

Thursday, September 28, 2017

That Month Where I'll Be Reading When I'm Not Working or Sleeping: October Reads and Those Pesky DNF'S

I'm still a bit far from my goal of 100 books this year.  It seems like a pretty easy thing to achieve; after all, I read every day for an hour minimum.  If I'm lucky, I get in a chunk of 4 hours.  I had a glorious streak about 5 years ago, where my reading capacity was amazing, and I not only met my reading goal, but blew past it. All I can say now is that life is even busier when I thought it would slow down, and my chances of having chunks of time to read have become less and less.  Still, I'm trying a Hail Mary to get closer to my goal before December 31st.  

Part of that goal is to read some of the books I've bought over the past few years that are still sitting on my bookcases.  I am definitely someone who gets easily distracted by new books and pretty covers.  My discipline goes out the window! Before I talk about my reads for October (which is the gateway to my favorite reading months--cool days and chilly nights), I have to discuss my Did Not Finish books.  Dang it. 


 I tried really hard to get into this book, but I found myself not very interested.  I enjoyed The Little Paris Bookshop quite a bit, so I was disappointed I couldn't find my groove with this one.  I'll probably try again next year.  
 Ah, Strange Practice.  Sure to be a series, or at least have a sequel or two.  I've enjoyed reading this book very much--I started it on vacation in July.  However, I lost my reading mojo and now am stuck 3/4 of the way through.  It's still lying next to my bed, waiting for me to pick it back up.  I'll probably finish it before the end of the year, but for now, it's not going to be picked up again anytime soon. A doctor in London who takes care of supernatural creatures, with a vampire as a bestie?  A great concept, and I like all the characters.  Oh, how I wish I'd finished it on the plane ride home.  Dang it. 
Another novel I read great reviews on that had me checking it out of the library as soon as it was available.  A Viking historical saga full of pillaging, raping, and the struggle to avenge an attempted murder all make it fascinating.  I just didn't have the time to really sit down and concentrate, which is what this novel deserves.  I'll probably try again when it's in paperback.  Sometimes reading a hardcover book is tough for me, knowing I'll have a second chance and probably buy the paperback--then I'll read it.  Even though I didn't finish it, I would say it would make an excellent Christmas gift for fans of historical sagas, and those curious about the Viking way of life.  




Now, without further ado, I present my October reads.  I like to read novels that are on the dark side in order to get my Halloween groove on--when I'm not watching paranormal shows on TV.  And because too much of the dark stuff drags me down, I've tossed in a few other reads that will lighten me up.  


Bookshelf read that has waited too long!

I'm a fan of Carol Goodman and love her Gothic tales

Saw this on the web and it looks like an excellent  combination of history, antiques, and ancient prophecies

I've had many friends read this and tell me it's fantastic.  A novel about what's going on in our world today.  

I love bees!  Three stories told in past, present and future.  

This caught my eye; not sure what to expect. 

I'm reading this now, and LOVING IT.  Similar to Christopher Moore.
A favorite author--can't wait to read it!

New to this author; publisher review request.  It's a hefty hardcover, but I'm eager to dip into the Nordic  crime  genre.  Better late than never!


I've got a few other titles that will sprinkle in throughout the month.  Watch for an upcoming book giveaway.  Happy Fall reading!  The Bookalicious Babe
🍂👻🎃

No comments :

Post a Comment