Quantcast

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Summer Reading Halfway Through: What I Read, What I Still Want to Read

Well as usual, once we hit July, the summer seems to be moving at lightning speed towards September. It's been so muggy and hot in Iowa this summer I've got my A/C on permanently. But, there have been some glorious mornings where I can sit out on my deck and read for a few hours in my peaceful, bird chirping back yard. It's my favorite new reading spot. 

Books are coming at me left and right, and I'm reading whatever appeals to me at the moment. I've managed to get back to my usual reading style of 4-5 books at a time. I start one, get about 50-75 pages in, then pick up another one, and so on, and so on. I much prefer this than reading one book at a time. Keeps me from getting impatient or bored when I hit a spot in a story that seems to slow me down. I've read a few graphic novels--the Lumberjanes, which are wonderful middle school/young adult stories about a girl's camp surrounded by some supernatural shenanigans. They're all about friendship, girl power, and working together. I can see why they're so popular!



I just started The Stranger in the Woods by Michael Finkel last night. It's the non-fiction story of Michael Knight, who lived in the woods by himself with no human contact for 27 years. The Other Woman by Sandie Jones is a publisher review read, and I've got to really dig into it. A woman's budding relationship with a new man is complicated by his mother. I can't decide if it's supposed to be campy or a serious thriller. I like the heroine.  




Another book I'm halfway through is The Hunger by Alma Katsu. I saw it at Barnes and Noble, but didn't buy it in hardcover. The next week, I was working at the library and it came across my desk. Bingo! It's a supernatural take on the Donner Tragedy. Holy heck. It's creepy, for sure. Knowing what eventually happens to the Donner Party gives it an extra dreadful feel. I'll be reviewing it soon. 



I've still got plenty of reads waiting in the wings: Jenny Colgan, Michelle Noble, Charles Frazier, and that big tome about Leonardo DaVinci. As it is, I'm enjoying my summer of reading.  I'll post some quick videos to my Facebook page about some of the other books and I'm reading, and you can also find me on Instagram under @Supersue66. 

Happy reading!  

No comments :

Post a Comment