Quantcast

Thursday, October 25, 2018

City of Ghosts by Victoria Schwab

This was a quick read I found at the library as I was checking in books. At first I thought it was a YA novel, but I discovered shortly after that is was actually a middle school novel. I never would have guessed, because it was well written, had great pacing, and well developed characters. I can't wait to read the next in the Cassidy Blake series!

Cassidy is pretty young; I think she's about 12 in this novel. She has a gift: she can see the dead. Not only that, but she can cross over into the "Veil" and see all of the restless spirits, and how they are each in their own little time bubble, trapped between life and death. Her sidekick, Jacob, is a young boy who saved her from drowning--and yes, he's a ghost. After her accident, she's got this crazy gift. And to add to the story, her parents are famous authors of ghostly tales. She doesn't dare tell her parents what she's capable of now, a year after her near fatal accident. 

Expecting to go on the family's usual summer beach vacation, she's disappointed to find out her parents have agreed to film their own tv program on ghostly haunts around the world. No beach vacation this year. First stop: Edinburgh, Scotland--reported to be one of the most haunted places around. She's reluctant to go, but doesn't really have a choice. 

Once in Edinburgh, Cassidy feels the tug of the Veil and the tap tap tapping of spirits everywhere she goes. A visit to Greyfriars cemetery exposes Cassidy and Jacob to an evil spirit that will stop at nothing to cross the Veil...

I throughly enjoyed this book--it's absolutely something I would have gobbled up as a kid. It's the kind of book I always wanted to write. I've visited Edinburgh, and I can say it has a very special feel to it. I've gone underground, visited Edinburgh Castle, and yes, if you stand still and be quiet, you can feel the vibrations of the past. I hope to go back someday. 

I'd recommend this novel to anyone who likes a good ghost read. It doesn't matter that this is a middle school novel. It never felt like one, and the story moved along well. Plenty of room for more adventures for Cassidy and Jacob. If you have any young kids in your life who love to read paranormal novels, this would make a great Christmas gift! I'm going to look at Victoria Schwab's other novels. If you're interested, check out her Goodreads page: Victoria Schwab.  

Rating:  4/6 for an unexpectedly good ghosty read. First in a series. Suitable for young readers and everyone who likes paranormal reads. 

Available in hardcover, ebook, and audio. 

No comments :

Post a Comment