Quantcast

Saturday, March 30, 2019

DNF's and Letting Go of a Disappointing Month; April Reading Plans

I will be the first to say March sucked for me as a reader. Ugh. I always have time carved out in my days and weeks for reading, since it's not only my biggest passion, but it's part of my job and because I love posting on my blog. It's sort of a part-time job with compensation paid in books. And it does take a lot of time. March was a terrible reading month for me. Yes, I read 5 books (which for me is just not my usual) but I was very disappointed in myself for not being able to read more on my list. I also miscalculated the time it would take to read a few books for book groups, started them late, and didn't even make it to 100 pages in one book. The other I finished only because I had to power read the last few days to get it done. March was just a very active month; my usual reading times-weekends and nights--were just not there. There were a few weeks where I wasn't home at night for most of the week. That stuff will drain me, and when I don't get to read, I really become drained and a bit crabby. I'm a homebody that likes to be out and about about 30% of the time. March was definitely about 75% of the time. March spit me out.

April is just around the corner, and I've decided I am going to start fresh and shake off my disappointment. When all is said and done, it's just books, right? Those reads will come around again. So here are a few titles I'll be reading in April:

My book group is tasked with reading a classic for April. I've had this on my shelf for over a year; my brother recommended it. I consider anything Kurt Vonnegut wrote a classic! 


My other book group is reading The Lying Game for our April pick. I did not like The Woman in Cabin 10 at all. But, I've started this and so far I'm liking it. Four friends gather together after 17 years and a terrible lie that comes back to haunt them. 

I'm so excited to read this! I loved her first novel, The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper. Had to buy this the day it came out. A librarian, a book of fairy tales, and clues to uncover a family mystery. 


Two of my all-time interests: Lizzie Borden and Jack the Ripper. I have yet to visit the B&B that occupies Lizzie's family home, but I did get to go on a Jack the Ripper walking tour while in London years ago. That was a definite bucket list item! A new non-fiction book about Lizzie's trial. I've never read anything in-depth about her trial, so I'm ready to dive into this. 


I know I'll be reading other titles as well, but I'll leave that up to the whims of April. My daffodils are starting to peek out of the ground, my yard needs some serious attention, and the lure of trying to start running again (and listen to podcasts while I do it) are all in front of me. I hope you can find the time to sit a bit, read a bit, and relax. 

Happy reading friends!

No comments :

Post a Comment