Quantcast

Tuesday, March 26, 2024

March Read: Expiration Dates by Rebecca Serle

 

This is my second Rebecca Serle novel. I thoroughly enjoyed One Italian Summer and saw the premise of this novel and thought it would be an interesting twist on modern dating, so I grabbed a copy at my library and quickly read it. 

Daphne lives in Los Angeles and is an assistant to a producer. She's in her early thirties, and has a weird quirk: since she was a young girl, she gets pieces of paper that tell her the name of her next boyfriend, and how long the relationship will last. One month, a few years, a night--it takes her a few years to figure out what's going on, and she never shares her quirk with anyone until Hugo, her best friend/ex-boyfriend. You'll get tastes of some of her previous relationships as the story bounces between her past and the now. 

Now she's received a note with a name, but no end date. Is Jake the one?And if he is the one, is she ready for it? 

This plot had some steam and kept me interested for the first half, but a few surprise revelations come to light and they change the tone of the novel quite  bit. I certainly didn't see them coming. Daphne is so sure Jake must be the one, she basks in the simplicity of their life together-he's calm, cool, charming, warm--a golden retriever, if you will. But I felt the chemistry was definitely lacking between the two. It's pretty obvious who she should be with, but Daphne is stuck on those names always having an end date, and there's no revisiting past relationships. Jake must be the one who will be her happily ever after. 

I can't say I liked Daphne a whole lot. She's not a terrible person; she's a good person--but her decisions and actions just didn't vibe with me. 

What I do enjoy about Rebecca Serle's novels are the introduction of magic that is not explained; the characters don't try to figure it out or question it much--it just is, and that's refreshing. 

Rating: 3/6 for an interesting concept, but a lack of chemistry between Daphne and her main squeeze just didn't work for me. It's a quick read, and has some interesting twists, so if you're looking for a semi-romantic contemporary novel with a dab of magical realism, go for it! 

Available in hardcover, ebook, and audio. 

No comments :

Post a Comment