Quantcast

Monday, April 15, 2024

April Read: Funny Story by Emily Henry

 

Emily Henry returns this month with her latest sure-to-be-a-massive-hit novel, Funny Story. It clocks in at 384 pages, so be prepared to put some time into this one!

I have a love/hate relationship with EH's novels. Out of the four I've read, I've only really, really liked one, and that was Book Lovers. It charmed me and I not only liked the characters, but the whole dang book. Funny Story comes in second as my next most likable EH novel. 

The premise is pretty interesting: Daphne's fiancĂ©, weeks before their wedding, leaves her for his childhood best friend, Petra. Devastated, with nowhere to go in the small Michigan lakeside town she's moved to for her marriage, she ends up moving into Petra's old apartment--the one she shared with her boyfriend, Miles. He's also reeling from the breakup of his relationship with Petra, and loves to play sad love songs 24/7. Two broken-hearted people living together, trying to cope with the betrayal of their ex-relationships. At first, they avoid each other as much as possible. But as the weeks go by, they both start to become friendly, and wounds begin to heal. 

Daphne is an introverted children's librarian, and Miles works at a winery. He's utterly charming in every way, and before she knows it, Daphne is feeling all the feels--especially when  they decide to pretend to be involved in order to attend Peter and Petra's upcoming wedding. It's the old "we'll show them we've moved on" move that backfires when Miles and Daphne begin a slow burn "oh crap I really like this person" with some sexual tension that gets pretty steamy. All the while Daphne is counting the days until she can fulfill her end of summer library readathon and leave Michigan for good. 

Of course, both have baggage that's more of the check-in kind than the carry-on kind, and that interferes in what should be a simple falling in love story. Add in new friendships, a visiting sister, and troubled childhoods, and what could have been a 300 page novel ends up much longer than I think it should be. I had to stop reading for a few days because I was getting annoyed at the slow pace. I guess I'm an impatient gal when it comes to love!

I enjoyed the setting and I'm convinced Michigan is a place I must visit. It was also refreshing to read a romance about two people who are just ordinary, everyday people with jobs that are fulfilling but aren't about climbing the corporate ladder or making the most money. If anything, it reminded me that romance lives even under the worst circumstances, and love wins out if you have the courage to step into it. 

So overall, I did enjoy the book, but felt it was too long. Daphne and Miles are likable characters and a good match that is definitely believable. Secondary characters and the charm of small town Michigan during the summer months round out what will certainly be a HUGE summer hit. 

This novel will be out in the US on April 23rd in hardcover, ebook, and audio. 

Thanks to Berkley and Penguin/Random House for an advanced copy to read and review! 

Rating: 4/6 for a summer romance long on build-up but with a charming setting and two likable people who fall in love when it's least expected. 

No comments :

Post a Comment