Quantcast

Saturday, February 8, 2014

The Wedding Bees by Sarah-Kate Lynch

I read Sarah-Kate Lynch's Blessed are the Cheesemakers a few years ago and fell in love with her writing style.  I can't get enough of what most people call "magical realism".  I firmly believe life is full of magical moments, people, and things and any book that includes this belief of mine is destined to find its way into my home and on my bookshelves.

So goes The Wedding Bees.  It has actually given me an idea for a paper I have to write for school.  I have a cousin who lives in the 'burbs of Chicago who is raising his own bees;  the combination of this book and Steve's beginning phase of "suburban farmer" have peaked my interest in all things bees and honey.  

Sugar Wallace is a young woman who travels around the US with her bees.  Her queen bee, Elizabeth the 6th, is placed on a map and wherever she stops, that's where Sugar moves to for exactly one year.  Then she pulls out the map and moves again.  This time she's landed in New York City, in the Alphabet City area known for it's quirkiness.  She lives in the top floor of an apartment building filled with people who are all doing what Sugar does:  hiding from what they could be and should be.  This group of people are wonderful and you'll fall in love with each one of them and want to live in this apartment building.  And there's Theo, the Scottish lawyer who meets Sugar on her first day in New York City and immediately knows they are meant for one another.  But the path to love and happiness is not easy, and Sugar struggles with her attraction to Theo and her reasons for being on the run from Charleston for 15 years.  Thankfully, Theo is not one to give up.  

I adored this novel.  I love the South; so combine that with some interesting tidbits about bees, beekeeping, honey, and a colorful, vibrant city, and I've got a novel that made me smile.  

Highly recommend this sweet novel.  Yep,  I said it.  Sweet.  Sweet as honey.

Rating:  8/10 for a great setting, colorful characters, and just enough information about bees and beekeeping to make it all interesting.  

Available in paperback and e-book.

6 comments :

  1. I really enjoy your reviews. After reading past posts, we are on the same wavelength. I could use a little magic so thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! Thanks for checking in. Love to hear from everyone :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, sounds like an awesome book to read. :-) Thanks for the review. I'll be adding to my reading wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's just an enjoyable author that's perfect to read when you want something quirky and cheerful with a happy ending.

      Delete
  3. This is a wonderful review. Not only because you give the book a high rating (and it sounds like a great book), but I love your style. You make the book feel attractive, but don't give away too much about the storyline or make the review too long. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't ever give endings away and try to leave a lot for the reader to discover when they read the book. I hopefully give you enough details to want to pick up the book and read it.

      Delete