Quantcast

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Midnight Crossing by Charlaine Harris

I've been a fan of Charlaine Harris since reading her first Sookie Stackhouse book so long ago!  I am happy to see a new series from Charlaine.  I must confess I have a love/hate relationship with series.  I'll usually read the first 4-5 books, then I lose interest and stop reading them.  Gee, this has happened with Jim Butcher, Laurel K. Hamilton, Patricia Cornwell, and yes, even Charlaine Harris.  I got tired of Sookie.  I didn't read the last three books in that series.  

Here's my internal dialogue while reading Midnight Crossing:  "Can't wait!  This is interesting…..wait, this is slow….okay, getting better….now I'm halfway finished and I should just stop….no,  I'm liking it again….it's getting interesting again….holy crap!  What?!  Alright, that was a pretty good ending."

I've read a lot of books where I make myself finish it because there's just something about the novel that doesn't allow me to put it down and walk away; but at the same time, it's not one I breathlessly devour. This was one of those novels.  The cast of characters in Midnight, Texas are quirky, secretive people who have settled in Midnight for one reason or another.  We don't know.  That's what a series is for--slowly evolving story lines that arc over a number of books.  Charlaine leaves enough mystery to keep you reading, and more than enough at the end to leave you ready to read book number two.  

So who are the people of Midnight?  There's Bobo, who runs the pawnshop.  Fiji, the local witch who runs  a  new age store out of her living room; Chuy and  Joe run an antique store/nail salon, and Manfred, the latest edition to Midnight. He's settled in to run his psychic hotline.  There are more characters, and you'll come to know them as they all try to protect Bobo from his grandfather's legendary "treasure" and the militants who are out to find it--and willing to hurt anyone who stands in their way.  

If you've read Charlaine Harris before--either her Sookie books, or her two mystery series, you'll soon slip into a familiar rhythm and happily settle down to discovering Midnight.  I read a review that said Bobo is part of her Shakespeare mystery series, and Manfred also features in her mysteries.  I haven't read her mysteries, so I'll take their word for it.  *Sigh*  Yet another addition to my UTBR list.  Yes, I call it my "Unending To Be Read" list.  It is currently long enough to circle the earth at least twice.  

Should you read Charlaine's newest novel?  I say yes!  I love her characters.  It's quirky enough that you just don't know what to expect, and anything could happen.  It's not bloody, it's not over the top supernatural; it's just an entertaining read.  There were a few dips in action, and I got through them.  It is slow paced, but in a good way.  Enjoy your trip to Midnight.

Rating:  7/10 for a brand new series from Charlaine Harris.  Her characters will soon wiggle their way into your imagination.  And a bang up surprise ending. 

Available in hardcover, e-book, and audio.




1 comment :

  1. Awesome review! I enjoyed Harris's new book also. All minor issues aside, it was a really fun read. Waiting for the next book is going to become a little painful. Anybody else dug Fiji the most?

    ReplyDelete