Quantcast

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Getting Over Mr. Right by Chrissie Manby

I needed a break from reading historical fiction and ghost novels, so I found Getting Over Mr. Right by Chrissie Manby on my Nook and quickly began reading it.  

Ashleigh is a 32 year old single woman living in London and working at an ad agency.  She's been through the dating scene and is pretty much convinced she'll never meet Mr. Right.  Until she meets Michael, a slightly shabby accountant who just may be Mr. Right.

Fast forward two years, and Michael has been promoted, bought a shiny new flat and car, and dresses a lot better.  He's also dumped Ashleigh on Facebook--and horrors--defriended her.  

Ashleigh goes off the deep end and the majority of this novel is about her determination to win Michael back from his new girlfriend.  Ashleigh quite frankly loses her mind!  We've all had heartbreak, and yes, it does take a while to move through it.  Ashleigh embraces it with a death grip and doesn't let go--stalking Michael, missing work, dying her hair brown to match his girlfriend's and ultimately alienating friends and family with her crazy shit.  It's funny and not so funny.  It gets old.  I found myself shouting at her to get it together!!  Arrgh!

I will say Ashleigh does have a  great supporting cast of characters around her, and the story does take a nice turn--until the last few pages, where I was again stamping my foot and swearing at Ashleigh.  Yes.  Swearing at a make believe character.  The crazy had spread.  It reminded me of the movie Bridesmaids, and how the main character has to sink so low before she rises again.  Ashleigh sinks pretty darn low.

I'll give this one a 2/5.  It wasn't a horrible novel and was entertaining for the most part when she was doing something other than obsessing.  I didn't like Ashleigh's obsession, her inability to listen to anyone at all, and her blatant disregard for the rest of her life and what she was doing to ruin it.  I guess I'm just old enough to look at this and realize it's not so funny to be so broken hearted over a loser that you have to rebuild yourself from the ground up.  It also reminded me of Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic novels.  I just couldn't wrap my brain around those, either.  




No comments :

Post a Comment