Quantcast

Monday, December 17, 2012

My Top Reads of 2012: Adult Fiction

Looking back over my list of read books for this year, I was taken aback by all the wonderful stories I read.  I had a hard time picking my top favorites; there were so many that I throughly enjoyed and lifted my heart into that happy realm that only a good story is capable of doing for me!

Anyway:  here are my Top Ten Favorite Fiction Reads of 2012:  Starting with #10:

#10:  The Twelfth Enchantment by David Liss

Magic, Lord Byron, and the English Industrial Revolution.  Delightful surprise read.

#9: The Healing by Jonathan Odell

 The Satterfield Plantation is the scene for young Granada's entry into the world of healing during pre-Civil War America.  An excellent novel about the Old South.  



 #8 Sister by Rosamund Lipton

Bee searches for answers to her sister Tess' untimely death.  Heart wrenching psychological thriller about what it means to be a sister.




#7 The Book of Lost Fragrances by M.J. Rose

An famous old french perfumery family is at the middle of this novel about a lost fragrance that imparts special powers, reincarnation, Ancient Egypt, and a sister seeking answers to her brother's disappearance.




#6 The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman

A young couple living on an island make a choice that will rock their world for
years to come.  A great book club book that will lead to lively discussions.



#5  The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window... by Jonas Jonasson

This delightful novel will make you laugh out loud as you follow Alan's adventures after he escapes a retirement home.  Brilliant.

#4  Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

The second in a trilogy about Diana and Matthew.  Kept me on the edge of my seat!  Smart, sexy, and highly entertaining.



#3 True Sisters by Sandra Dallas

A group of Mormon followers travel to Salt Lake City in deteriorating conditions that strengthen the bonds between 4 women on the journey.  Great novel about a little known episode of American history:  the Mormon Handcart Disaster.




#2  Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd

My gigantic read of the year!  I have found an author that is truly a gifted historical writer.  This novel travels a 10,000 year road of history surrounding Salisbury, England.  Follow the lives of 5 families that survive, thrive, and become part of the very core of this amazing novel.

#1  The Island House by Posie Graeme-Evans

Ah.  Love at first page.  A young archeologist travels to a small island off the coast of Scotland only to discover a mystery surrounding her father's work and the island's past.  Vikings, Pagans, Christians all come together to weave the past (AD800) and the present in a wonderful novel.  Just so damn good!


And.....My top 10 is actually my top 11!  My favorite book of 2012 is....

It came to me at the end of the year, but it was worth waiting for!  Intrigue, other-wordly creatures, lost memory, and a delightful main character all wrapped up in a British bow.  You MUST read this book!

So there you have it.  I cannot wait to see what 2013 brings.  What was your favorite read this year?  

And...coming soon:  My favorite teen and young adult reads of 2012.

2 comments :

  1. Thank you so very very much for including me on your list! I just bought three books your listed - figured if you liked mine so much I would probably like them. And if you email me at MJRoseAuthor at gmail I will be sure to get you a copy of Seduction coming in May. (And you used the same artist for your site as I did - I had her do mine to fit my themes - mjrose.com) Happy Holidays!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! It made my day.

      Delete