Quantcast

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Oh, September--What to Read Next?!

So after my self-imposed ban on book buying in August,  I have returned with somewhat of a vengeance.  I haven't spent as much as I could have, but I did spend about $50 last week.  Eek!  I've joined a new reading group we're forming at the bookstore called Addled Minds.  We wanted to read some good, meaty stuff--both non-fiction and fiction.  Our first meeting is in October, and we picked a heck of a book for the first time out--Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel.  The paperback looks much less intimidating than the hardcover, and I do love the Tudors.  I'm taking a deep breath before I open the front cover and start.

To fortify myself, I read Cross Your Heart by Michele Bardsley.  It's part of a series of romance novels about Broken Heart, Oklahoma--home to vampires, witches, and shifters.  I jumped in far from the beginning, but it's easy to follow, has some really--ahem--hot scenes *wink wink* and is funny.  All you could want in a romance.  And, not a Tudor in sight!  I'll probably go back and read the other books in the series, and look forward to the next title.  Brain candy is a wonderful thing!

So this month I'm attempting to still get through some titles I have at home, tackle some assigned reading that has to be done before the end of the month, and looking forward to finally reading Mockingjay.  Can you believe I haven't even taken it out of the box yet?  What the heck?!  I bought a copy of Hunger Games for my niece, and told her to read it, and pass it to my sister.  I talked to both of them on Saturday, and guess  what?  Not impressed.  I think they're nuts.  I told Pam--you are only the second human being I have talked to who wasn't bowled over by this novel--what is wrong with you?!  Maybe because there's not a vampire in the story line.  *Sigh*.  I will keep trying!

So what's on your list this month?  It's getting close to Halloween, and my favorite time of year.  I'll start perusing the bookcases and the computer for some good ghost stories and spooky tales.

2 comments :

  1. Oooo, did you watch "The Tudors"? We just had the series here...finished last week - my Monday nights will be SO demure from now on! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched the first season, and then was so annoyed by their messing with history I had to stop! Not to mention the fact that Henry was not a tall, dark haired hottie. Arrgh! I did love Catherine, however! The Tudors certainly lived large, didn't they?

    ReplyDelete